[lit-ideas] Re: SimCity, was Re: Picks of the week

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 11:50:46 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Paul <Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: May 22, 2004 2:23 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Picks of the week

>...I read, I think in the Wall Street Journal, about a "virtual community" of
some type that seems to be catching on on the internet.  It seemed something
like this only more.   In that virtual city or town or whatever it was you
create a character, then that character lives out a life at your direction,
interacting with other virtual characters that others direct.<

You're thinking of The Sims, an online game that uses virtual characters. It's
an outgrowth of the original SimCity, which began as a sort of virtual urban
planning game. See <http://www.maxis.com/>. Lit-Ideas is a competitor.

A.A.  This must be what I was thinking of.  I went into the site but didn't
click on the icons.  That's an interesting idea, that Lit-Ideas is a
competitor, even if you jest.  I find that in some ways this virtual community
is just as real and far more interesting that  the "real world".  For example,
I would never get into any of the discussions we have here with any of my
neighbors.  With "real" people, including relatives, it's hard to talk about
anything more than his lovely new lawn mower (which I in fact admire) and her
daughter's boyfriend she doesn't approve of (I can't tell her the kid is 17 and
will what she wants no matter what mom says), or someone else's job search or
whatever.  If they heard me mention Hemingway or dream research they would duck
and cover.  This virtual community actually has interesting conversation in it.
 In any case, thanks again for this link.

My apologies also to Marlena.  She sounds like a really sweet person who wants
to believe there is goodness in the world.

Andy Amago

Robert Paul
Reed College