[lit-ideas] Re: Silence / The Seamy Side of Semiotics

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 17:18:22 -0230

Truly interesting and valuable pedagogical reflections by John W, David R and
RP. Much to think about. I might even try the powerpoint route, so long as I
can find me some black slides. That is a very fine idea that John W has there.
So long as half the class doesn't go for coffee or a smoke thinking you're
experiencing technical difficulties. ("We're supposed to do WHAT during the
black slides???)

In keeping with David R's suggestion, requesting that a student do a bit of
research in pursuit of a question she posed is the route I sometimes take. But
sometimes, the answer isn't something you can just look up but requires some
sustained and systematic reflection. In such a case, I suggest that she do her
term-paper on her question.

The empirical "education scientists" in Canada and The Netherlands concur that
the average wait time after a teacher poses a question in an undergrad
university class is 3 seconds.

RP's tale of Sir Rex of Aragon below says something very important about the
role of students' own initiative in their own learning and in the procedures of
the seminar. A similar tactic in undergrad classes looks like this:

Instructor: Good afternoon, everyone. My goodness, I'm so tired today, should
we
have a class or just cancel and come back on Friday?  (The closer the present
is
to a test or final exam, the more intense the response from students.)

Troy: Cancel! Cancel! We're outta here!

Peter: But we have a test next week.

Susan: That's right and I don't have a clue what chapter 5 is about, and I read
it 3 times!!

Lori: Maybe we could have just an easy and quiet class, and those who want to
leave can go.

Troy: Yeah, but will you take attendance? Participation is 10% here.

Instructor: If we have a class, then I'll take attendance.

Troy: See, I told you! Let's all go home and read chapter 5, I mean, read
chapter 5 again a few times, and then come back on Friday.

Lori: I have a few questions which I'm not clear on and I think if i got
answers
to them I'd be able to understand better for my next reading of the chapter.

Instructor: Shall we hear Lori's questions?

This approach works best with instructors who, for one reason or another, are
not at the mercy of student evaluations. In shifting the responsibility for
learning onto the students, there will be a few students, sometimes more, who
can't shoulder such responsibility, will not be motivated to come see you for
extra help and will end up either failing or receiving a very low grade.
("Walter, I never got a 26% on a test in 4 years of university!! And in Moral
Education??!!")

RP mentions the student who can't articulate her point or the question she
wants
to ask. His approach is definitely the correct one in my book. Simply wait ...
make sure nobody interferes with the student's efforts to articulate her claim
or question. Should another student start whispering to a neighbour, glower at
him with your best teacher's look of utter indignation. After awhile, if
nothing materializes from the student, I will make a suggestion, offer a
hypothesis: "Alisha, is it that you're thinking that ....?"

Ah yes, the ritual of the the unlit or no-longer-lit pipe. I have witnessed
profs perform it with consummate artistry. Once, during the days of my brash
and insolent youth - yes, that was last year - I approached the prof at the end
of the class in the hallway and whispered: "You don't know the difference
beytween the highest good and the complete good, do you." To which I received
the reply: "Hey, I'm so confused, I no longer know when it is that I do or
don't know something." Needless to say, I stuck close to the man for the next 2
years.

They took my tobacco and rolling papers away a long time ago, but fortunately I
still have my malt, bottle of springwater and my silver stirring spoon. There's
at least 5 minutes of thinking time for each 1.25 oz dram.

Students addressing each other without mediation by an instructor. Excellent. If
only I could get the principals in my seminars to attempt that.

Detroit in 6.

Walter O.
MUN