[lit-ideas] Re: Silence

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 15:26:23 -0700

On May 27, 2008, at 2:33 PM, wokshevs@xxxxxx wrote:

How do YOU deal with such silences in YOUR classrooms?

I say, "I don't know the answer at present. I'll think about it/look stuff up and get back to you next week." And then I write a note about this commitment so that I do, in fact, get back to them the next week. Sometimes I try it the other way round, "I don't know the answer to that one, why don't you look it up/think about it and get back to us next week?"

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon