[lit-ideas] Re: Signs of Punctuation: The Implicature [lit-ideas]

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 06:51:17 +0000 (UTC)

'So in the end, when doing philosophy, one gets to the point where one would
just like toemit an inarticulate sound.' —Investigations §261.>
This is another way of 'showing' W's view about the "limits of language": we
always get to the point in philosophy where language fails us*. And
Wittgenstein thinks (such are the "limits of language") that we get to this
point in philosophy very, very quickly.

Dnl*Unpacking this sense of "fails us" needs careful handling: for W does not
think we have legitimate complaint about the "limits of language", as if we
could expect language to be otherwise. W also thinks careful examination of
language (as we use it) provides the best therapy for dissolving philosophical
entanglements. But, for W, language is not an instrument that allows us to
formulate theses that solve philosophical problems - hence, for W, there can be
no (valid) theses in philosophy.

On Wednesday, 15 July 2015, 0:25, Mike Geary
<jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

R. Paul writes: 'So in the end, when doing philosophy, one gets to the point
where one would just like toemit an inarticulate sound.' —Investigations §261.
Indeed, as even do I who has never philosophized at all but only watched.
On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 3:53 PM, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mike Geary reports his second grade teacher's views on punctuation—she was
agin' it.
I'll never foreverget my second grade teacher who told us a thousand times:
PUNCTUATIOUSNESS LEADS TO PUNCTILIOSITY!!!!  She did not cotton to punctuation
marks.  She called them crutches and would mark us down if we used any
punctuation marks at all.  She said that there was only one kind of language
and that was spoken language. "You don't make punctuation sounds when you
speak,* so don't use the damn things when you write," she would shout red in
the face

*She should have gone to one of Victor Borges' lectures on phonetic punctuation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bpIbdZhrzA
A thought for the day:
'So in the end, when doing philosophy, one gets to the point where one would
just like toemit an inarticulate sound.' —Investigations §261.
Robert Paul