[lit-ideas] Re: Signs of Punctuation: The Implicature

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 06:39:46 +0000 (UTC)

In a  message dated 7/14/2015 1:57:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
_donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxx.uk_ (mailto:donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx)  asks:  "Where
in "The Brown" or any of his books, does Wittgenstein suggest all  punctuation
is
"otiose"? Chapter and verse please.">
It seems clear from JLS' reply that W claimed no such thing - W did not claim
all punctuation is otiose. In fact, W explicitly gives a case where a comma
would not be otiose. What W did perhaps admit is that some punctuation may be
otiose (remarkably realising this years before Mike's gratuitous comma).

What is unclear is why JLS claimed W said something that it seems obvious that
W never said - and which contradicts what W actually said (about the non-otiose
comma). Not holding my breath, in expectation, of an answer, to this question,
from JLS.
Dnl

On Wednesday, 15 July 2015, 1:35, "dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In a message dated 7/14/2015 7:50:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx comments on Witters's view on signs of punctuation (and
stuff):

Witters:

"So in the end, when doing philosophy,
one gets to the point where one
would just like to emit an inarticulate
sound."
-----— Investigations §261.

O. K.: "I suppose that I know nothing about philosophy then. I thought
that inarticulate sounds are produced when one is alone in the toilet."

Well, there's,

i. Ouch.

and

ii. Ouch!

(ii) features a sign of punctuation, as it were -- the "!". In fact,
Witters is not very clear, as often. Linguists refer to fourth types of
articulation.

So a sound can be inarticulated-1, or inarticulated-2, or inarticulated-3,
or inarticulated-4.

The first articulation is phonetic ("hmpf!"); then there's the  formation
of words from letters (the second articulation, as when Anscombe said,
"Witters just hmpfed"). When sentences form texts we have a third  articulation
("Witters humpfed. This did not surprise me one bit."). And then  there's the
fourth articulation.

The signs of punctuation are somewhere between the second articulation and
the third articulation. Witters's 'inarticulate sound' is nowhere as near!

Cheers,

Speranza