[lit-ideas] Re: Sick dogs and virtue epist.

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:01:48 -0400

Walter Okshevsky wrote:

"But notice that your account doesn't reveal any possible common root to
moral and epistemic virtues or moral and epistemic criteria."

I did mention that both might be rooted in the Good, but I didn't expand
on that.  What if human life is at its most meaningful when the various
activities individuals engage in are oriented towards a single end?  In
the words of Kierkegaard, purity of heart is to will one thing.  On this
reading, separating the moral and epistemic would be harmful because it
inhibits the pursuit of that end.  So, to answer your question, the
different obligations involved in our ascriptions of moral and epistemic
virtue and vice to persons are based on the degree to which the relevant
actions are oriented towards an end that satisfactorily encompasses the
whole of ones life.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON