[lit-ideas] Should we appreciate a work of art 'on its own terms'?

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 13:52:39 +0000 (GMT)

My so-called almeer mata having triumphed via its College Form with its spartan
"about 400" against the Mancunian "almost 40,000" in BBC's 'University
Challenge' (btw, was shifting supposedly kiln-dried oak for firewood yesterday
with someone with a doctorate from Oxford and it incidentally came up that
neither of us knew where the fuck Corpus Christi is (answers not required: we
could goggle, but our superior education tells us what-the-fuck), here's a
question...

Anyway, thought it be a maybe good question (it's the question in the
subject-box in case you've really lost the plot by now). Might even be
approached as an old-style Oxbridge Entrance Exam question (JLS, don't wet your
knickers).

Phil
Btw, if you watch on BBC-i-player u can c the whole thing was rigged
Yes
By the questions
The pattern was more-or-less to advantage a certain kind of scientific
knowledge early on and then switch to a certain kind of humanities knowlege
later
But then, as was said when i was young,'Measuring intelligence by tests is like
measuring digestion by turd-length' (Goethe)
In Popperian terms:- no-one on the programme advanced an interesting or
important theory, and didn't ever need to iot win
(Sorry I'm Phil,
That should have read "In Wgn. terms"...)
Just knowledge they show (of fairly predicated kinds), and their ability to
make connections thereby
Bearing in mind that creative 'genuises' like Einstein or Mozart may have had a
relatively low IQ or UC mark as conventionally judged
And Popper was referenced one-nil more that Wittgenstein in the series'
questions
Anyway, back to _the_ question..