[lit-ideas] Re: Sharia Law in Germany

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 16:48:37 +0100 (BST)

According to one Brit, Sharia Law in Britain is only for civil matters
and only if all parties agree. Further, that there are no conflicts
between Sharia Law and British Law.  The former is subsumed under the
latter.  That is not what I read elsewhere
<<<<<<<<<<

what you read elsewhere is incorrect. I invite you to provide evidence that the
Sharia Tribunals do not, when acting legally and within the limits of their
statutory powers, deal only with civil matters and do not only operate if all
parties agree.

Incidentally, this "one Brit" was quoting an account more or less identical to
that found in the Times, the Telegraph, etc. etc..  You have provided no
contrary account from any source.  I have provided chapter and verse from
mainstream sources.  I invite you to reply.

[The Brit, by the way, referred to Kern earlier as “she” so she may have him
mixed up with someone else.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

"The Brit" referred to Kern as "s/he" prior to looking him up. His credentials
are irrelevant to my point about the misleading character of the comments of
his that I singled out.

A note on Sharia law in Germany and elsewhere. Sharia "courts" exist and
operate more or less everywhere in the world, either fully openly, or
covertly.  (Yes, they exist in the USA, openly.) In the UK, they existed before
they were formally established using the provisions of an Act that happened to
allow this. (The Beth Din here operated under a prior Act but now fall under
this one.)

  Maryam Namazie calls for the Arbitration Act to be amended, as Canada's has,
she says, to ban religious arbitration. That would ban the Beth Din too, I
believe -- does anybody here know what happened in Canada?

You may find this of interest, Section II A discusses religious arbitration in
the US

http://digitalcommons.law.yale.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1112&context=student_papers&sei-redir=1#search=%22Canadas%20Arbitration%20Act%20amended%202005%20exclude%20religious%20arbitration.%22

You say

I am not in a position to check out the actual advance of Sharia Law in Britain
and in Germany,
<<<<<<<<

You can say that again

Judy Evans, Cardiff