[lit-ideas] Re: Sharia Law in England

  • From: carol kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 00:39:22 -0700

Veronica,

Your surprise surprised me. I never thought about Islamic law that much. But
I sort of assumed that there's an Islamic equivalent of Jewish law (a Bet
Din, or Halachic law) in both the US and UK--and France, too. I grew up in a
tradition where one observes rulings by both civil and Jewish
courts. Official wedding ceremonies, in my extended French and American
family, consisted of all-day schelps from City Hall to the synagogue. What's
new, I gather, is the edge of hysteria now associated in these parts with
anything Muslim. Sharia law...yikes! They'll make us wear veils! (Frankly,
at my age I'd welcome one.)

Carol K.,
PDX