[lit-ideas] Re: Sharia Law and Britain's decline

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 16:06:52 -0400

About divorce, yes. On the other hand, it's a little condescending for the rest of us to presume that in all cases, the women would either do better in a regular family court or would be afraid to say so if they thought that was the case. Lets give them some credit. Many non-Muslim women live in fearful domestic situations and the legal system doesn't step in except in criminal cases and that law trumps the arbitration process anyway.

Best,
Ursula

On 11-09-08 3:47 PM, Judith Evans wrote:
Thank you, Ursula. I did try to get information by Googling but -- of course? -- ran into attack-dog pieces with no actual content. Yes, it is remarkably similar. And the concerns women critics express are the same.

Divorce is an interesting issue, as of course it's unsatisfactory for women to face one-sided divorce courts, but the state can hardly grant or deny a religious divorce.

Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK