[lit-ideas] Re: Shadows, fog, and money

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:31:52 -0400

Robert Paul quotes, without attribution:

"Not only is there no guarantee of the temporal immortality of the human
soul, that is to say of its eternal survival after death; but in any case,
this assumption completely fails to accomplish the purpose for which it has
always been intended. Or is some riddle solved by surviving forever? Is not
this eternal life as much of a riddle as our present life?"

I will contribute a text which follows shortly after the above:

"We feel that even if all possible scientific questions be answered, the
problems of life have still not been touched at all.  Of course there is
then no question left, and just this is the answer.  The solution of the
problem of life is seen in the vanishing of this problem."

It has been suggested on this list that for the religious person, what
occurs in this life doesn't matter.  This is surely wrong since for many
religious people, what happens after one dies depends on what happens in
this life.  I don't think it an exaggeration to suggest that the religious
often has the effect of intensifying the meaning and significance of the
present life simply because so much depends on how one lives it.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON