[lit-ideas] Re: Sex or gender?

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 22:55:14 +0000

I've no great problem with this -- I simply want to keep sex as a biological
designation and gender as something else.  I prefer to think of gender
as a social construct, admittedly.

I suspect any classification system will encounter problems of, well,
classification.  My beef's with the endless questionnaire

GENDER: MALE or FEMALE

also with the way even some academics use "gender" as a substitute for
"sex".  There was once some kind of reason given for that (not one I
accepted) but now I think people have just stopped thinking

(obviously I exempt you from stopping thinking and also from not being
a person!)

Judy

--
Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK