[lit-ideas] Re: Seriously/SLAM

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 11:13:33 -0700

On Jun 10, 2010, at 10:29 AM, Lawrence Helm wrote:

And about being 'trained killers," that is one way of looking at it, I suppose, but when I was in we were trained to function as units and not individually. We were trained to move toward the enemy in rifle teams, leapfrogging each other. No one told us we were trained killers, but that was another time and another war.

He begins where I thought he might, with Marshall's finding that even people who were fired upon in WW2 were very reluctant to fire back. This to me has always been a heartening finding; that humans are actually quite reluctant to kill one another.

"There has been controversy concerning S.L.A. Marshall's findings about World War II firing rates. Basically a small group of scholars claimed that Marshall had fabricated and falsified his research. His methodology may not meet modern scholarly standards, but when faced with scholarly concern about a researcher's methodology, a scientific approach involves replicating the research. In Marshall's case, every available parallel scholarly study replicates his basic findings." I find myself diverted into geometry at this point, wondering whether something that is parallel can be also be a replication--I think it can--and who or what is doing the facing in this sentence. And then, of course, this being military writing, we move into abbreviations and other mysterious terms, "The definitive U.S. military source, the United States Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC) historical monograph titled 'SLAM, the influence of S.L.A. Marshall on the United States Army,' strongly defends Marshall's observations." There's no explanation of "SLAM." Past these obstacles, I find the first conclusion clear--armies and other forces who are training with guns have given up shooting at bulls-eye targets because these do not help humans overcome their reluctance to fire at other humans. From Vietnam onwards studies show much higher firing rates. These, the author immediately assumes, come as a result of this difference of training. It seems to me that counting bullets is no good way of discovering who is firing *at* the enemy. If there was a change of doctrine--laying down a field of fire, rather than picking individual targets--you could easily account for increased expenditure of ammunition without needing any causative psychological change in the explanation. Then we leap to how the media are changing people all over the world, causing youth to suffer from "Violence Immune Deficiency." It's violence on television and in video games that is causing an increased willingness to kill. Now I'm started I'll have to read further, but I wonder if I've wasted $15.99--yes that's the cost of the paperback.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon