[lit-ideas] Re: Seriously

  • From: palma <palma@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 06:32:49 -0400 (EDT)

somewhere Kraus had the quip thatthe only anti-semitic joke was that jews were clever

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010, Ursula Stange wrote:

Conincidentally, my daughter's fiance had recommended Chabon's piece to us as the best thing he's read recently about being Jewish. Not being Jewish myself, I read it with much interest. I also read Charles Murray's article about Jewish Genius (referenced in the above). I had also already read David's suggested article from the NYReviw of Books (about the failure of the Jewish establishment). I'm not sure what else I want to know here (or who's Jewish here and might want to answer), but what can I assume is the current American Jewish response to what happened on the Gaza Flotilla? Is the response really divided by age (I'm sort of unwilling to believe that). I read somewhere that 49% of Americans think that what happened was the fault of the peace activists. I'm wondering what percentage of American Jews think that. And then last night I saw the "We Con the World" video sent out to foreign correspondents by the Israeli Government Press Office (the sending of which they labelled a mistake a few hours later).

Ursula in North Bay (where there are so few Jewish families that the store-front synagogue has an itinerant rabbi)

carol kirschenbaum wrote:
 David,

 Have you read Michael Chabon's recent piece on Israel (and its ability to
 be blockheaded) in the NYT? If not, perhaps add it to your reading list.
 It's wonderful.
 http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/06/opinion/06chabon.html?sq=michael
 chabon&st=cse&scp=4&pagewanted=all

 Carol K.
 On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 3:20 PM, David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 <mailto:ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

     I have three fresh pieces of reading to suggest to your attention:

http:
//www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2010/jun/10/failure-american-jewish-establishment/?page=1
http:
//www.stratfor.com/weekly/20100607_limits_public_opinion_arabs_israelis_and_strategic_balance?utm_source=GWeekly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=100608&utm_content=readmore&elq=a82e9578eadf4380bb920fe1011acdcb

<http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/20100607_limits_public_opinion_arabs_israelis_and_strategic_balance?utm_source=GWeekly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=100608&utm_content=readmore&elq=a82e9578eadf4380bb920fe1011acdcb>

     Both remind you that Israel, if not a state "like any other," is
     not monolithic.  When you read that "Israel" is behaving this way
     or that, and "the Palestinians" are responding thus, its easy to
     forget that both entities are made up of competing factions, each
     with its own history.

     Those who wrote about Milgram earlier might be interested to learn
     what the U.S. army has done in response to studies by Marshall and
     Milgram and so on.  How do they make killers out of civilians?
     The book is by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, "On Killing; The
     Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society."  First
     published in 1995, it was updated last year to take account of
     recent events.  The introduction claims that it is now on the USMC
     Commandant's Required Reading List.  Maybe Lawrence can tell us if
     this is a new thing, or if marines always had a Commandant's
     Required Reading List?

     I picked it up in Powell's just now, while handling books for
     three new courses.  It survived the "dip" test is all I can say
     about it at present.  The "dip" test is a random sampling of pages
     and a quick look at the bibliography and notes.  Normally I
     wouldn't bother you with a book I haven't read, but I figure that
     by the time I get round to reading it, the Milgram posts will have
     been long forgotten.

     David Ritchie,
     Portland, Oregon
     <http://www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html>

/begin/read__>sig.file: postal address
palma
University of KwaZulu-Natal Philosophy
3rd floor of Memorial Tower Building
Howard College Campus
Durban 4041
South Africa
Tel off: [+27] 031 2601591 (sec: Mrs. Yolanda Hordyk) [+27] 031-2602292
Fax [+27] 031-2603031
mobile 07 62 36 23 91            calling from overseas +[27] 76 2362391
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxx
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxx

MY OFFICE IS A290@Mtb

*only when in Europe*: inst. J. Nicod
29 rue d'Ulm
f-75005 paris france
________
This e-mail message (and attachments) is confidential, and/or privileged and is
intended for the
use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail
you must not copy,
distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any
confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you.
This entity is not responsible for any information not related to the business
of this entity. If you
received this e-mail in error please destroy the original and notify the sender.

  Ratio, enim, nisi judex universalis esse deberet, frustra singulis datur.

  [ _Quaestiones Naturales_, Adelard of Bath ]

Signora granda, testa che massa
massa ne passa, che quasi schissa,
Dia dei sostegni de cese e palassi
Dia de le taje che su ne tien fissi
Dia de le onde che le ne fa grassi,
ne ingrassa de ogni grassia, Dia Venessia -

aàh Venessia aàh Venàssia aàh Venùsia

Andrea Zanzotto, Filò, (Sezione: Recitativo Veneziano)