[lit-ideas] Re: Serious vs Modern

  • From: Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 13:01:04 -0400

John McCreery wrote:

"My counterclaim is that philosophers are forever disputing each others'
definitions of what they take to be technical expressions and that
intellectual honesty requires a modest willingness to take into account the
way particular authors use words in context."

Nonsense.  That there is debate over definitions does not mean that there is
isn't clarity over what an expression can't mean.  This 'debate by
definition' is a rhetorical move that distracts from whatever substantial
issues are at hand.

John continues:

"In contrast, a Google Scholar search for "Phil Enns" turns up only 463
links, none of which appear to refer to our colleague on Lit-Ideas."

Oh my.  I guess I have been put in my place.  I will be quiet now, deferring
to those with more google links.

guggling,

Phil Enns
Glen Haven, NS