[lit-ideas] Re: Self-deception

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 13:39:12 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 7/19/2013 12:55:41 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The American Civil  War isn't over insofar as historians are concerned, and
in reading revisionist  works none of these historians seem to consider the
possibility of  self-deception.

----

Very interesting points, L. K.

I shall try to address them in the future, after re-reading your
interesting post.

For the record, below, the first hit from google.com for the exact his "the
 impossibility of self-deception", which may help!

My mentor in this area has been D. F. Pears, of Oxford -- sometime member
of Grice's 'club': the "Play Group" of the Saturday Mornings way back then
in  the post-war 'ivory towers'...

Cheers,

Speranza

----

Some notes on Self-deception - Le Moyne - Le Moyne College
webserver.lemoyne.edu/~kagan/lienotes.HTM‎
Traduci questa pagina
Some notes on Self-deception. I. Why it's a  problem. A brief analysis of
"other-deception"; The apparent impossibility of  self deception--the
difference of ...

The Prevalence of Humbug and Other Essays - Pagina 138 - Risultati da
Google Libri
books.google.com/books?isbn=0801493218 - Traduci questa pagina

Max Black - 1985 - Fiction
The following argument for the impossibility  of self-deception seems to be
conclusive: Humbug requires concealment of a  deceptive intent; but if the
speaker and ...

The Rediscovery of the Mind - Pagina 147 - Risultati da Google  Libri
books.google.com/books?isbn=026269154X - Traduci questa pagina

John R. Searle - 1992 - Philosophy
It seems easy enough to "prove" the  impossibility of self- deception, but
self-deception is nonetheless a pervasive  psychological phenomenon, and
therefore ...

Ruling Oneself Out: A Theory of Collective Abdications - Pagina 322 -
Risultati da Google Libri
books.google.com/books?isbn=0822341646 - Traduci questa pagina

Ivan Ermakoff - 2008 - History
The impossibility of self- deception  loses its puzzling character when we
focus on the interactive structure of  individual beliefs and cognitive
heteronomy.

What is the Matter with the Church? - Pagina 210 - Risultati da Google
Libri
books.google.com/books?id=73o9AAAAYAAJ - Traduci questa pagina

William Pearson Whaley - 1915 - Church
The vanity of the life and the  impossibility of self-deception are seen in
the increasing number of suicides.  Confused, intoxicated, unclean,
insincere people are ...

The inspiration of prophecy: an essay in the psychology of revelation -
Pagina 112 - Risultati da Google Libri

books.google.com/books?id=9SlVAAAAMAAJ - Traduci questa pagina

Gilbert Cunningham Joyce - 1910 - Prophecies
... after which follows a  sensation of great calm and peace, coupled with
an absolute assurance of the  impossibility of self- deception in the
matter. In the second ...

The Evangelical Repository and United Presbyterian Review - Pagina 418  -
Risultati da Google Libri

books.google.com/books?id=-1QlAAAAYAAJ - Traduci questa pagina

1869
... me also,'' instead of proving the impossibility of  self-deception
under so varied circumstances and in the experience of so many  persons, must
bo
discarded as ...

Explanation of the four Gospels: text - IntraText CT

_www.intratext.com/IXT/ENG0819/_P2Z.HTM‎_
(http://www.intratext.com/IXT/ENG0819/_P2Z.HTM‎)

Traduci questa pagina
... by the Lord of His origin from God the Father,  confirms totally the
authenticity of His witness about Himself , as well as the  impossibility of
self-deception.

The Prevalence of Humbug - Digital Text International

_www.ditext.com/black/humbug.html‎_ (http://www.ditext.com/black/humbug.html
‎)

Traduci questa pagina
The following argument for the impossibility  of self-deception seems to be
conclusive: Humbug requires concealment of a  deceptive intent; but if the
speaker and ...

Table of contents for Place and displacement in the narrative worlds  ...

_www.loc.gov/catdir/toc/.../2005024268.html‎_
(http://www.loc.gov/catdir/toc/.../2005024268.html‎)

Traduci questa pagina
... Lives, Overlapping Spaces, and the  Impossibility of Self-Deception in
"Cartas de mam " 151 Conclusion 162 Appendix  177-200 Notes 215- 230 Index
230-245.