[lit-ideas] Re: See SAW

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 12:54:18 -0700

Lawence asks

Are you arguing that the largely Shiite government doesn't want our continued support?

Do you care what I think? Let's ask the Iraqi Shiites. They want the USA out of Iraq.

This isn't a recent development. Look at a USA Today, April 2004 article: "Only a third of the Iraqi people now believe that the American-led occupation of their country is doing more good than harm, and a solid majority support an immediate military pullout even though they fear that could put them in greater danger, according to a new USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll. That figure reaches 81% if the separatist, pro-U.S. Kurdish minority in northern Iraq is not included. The negative characterization is just as high among the Shiite Muslims who were oppressed for decades by Saddam as it is among the Sunni Muslims who embraced him."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2004-04-28-poll-cover_x.htm

Hmmm, 80% of the Shiites want the US out.

The Shiite government has asked the US for a timetable (i.e., a deadline) for
US withdrawal.

http://www.juancole.com/2005/11/iraqis-ask-for-withdrawal-timetable-ap.html

The Shiite government has asked the US to stop interfering in security.

http://www.zaman.com/?bl=hotnews&alt=&trh=20060327&hn=31387

And Sadr's bloc, a leading bloc in the Shiite government, wants the US out
immediately.

But, hey, that's reality, and we know reality has a liberal bias.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com