[lit-ideas] Re: Secretly ...

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 14:53:09 EST

In a message dated 1/7/2006 1:43:04 P.M. Central Standard Time,
eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

If you  want to get rid of material
objects---broken appliances, clothing, or old
rugs---you put them outside. Cleaned out an
apartment on Avenue A this  way. Everything put
outside was gone within half an  hour.

HI,
One of my favorite relatives was a professional puppeteer in NYC. (he died
some years ago)  We used to LOVE getting gifts from him--had no idea until  his
memorial service that he did this for/to our cousins, as well.  He  would
pick things up that people discarded in the trash that he thought were  either
still useful (they usually were) or unusual (they always were) and that's  what
we would each get.  We never ever knew what to expect and always they  were
grand.

He had some little shop in Greenwich Village that somehow he had gotten on  a
long-term/forever lease before it was a popular place to go. (I'm guessing it
 still is--have not been to NYC to wander around for a long time...)  He
would fill it up with things he had found that he either thought were fun or
unusual.  He also only kept it open when he wanted to--which used to drive  the
other owners crazy (according to my mother) as the shopping became  'better'.
Mostly he used the shop as a way to chat with people--to hear  their stories
and let them know they were special.

I remember once when he came out to visit (I was a little girl, then), he
made myself and a sister promise that we would not tell my parents--but he had
picked up a hitchhiker along the way.  He told us the fellows 'story' (he
knew everyone's story)--and then shared with us that his philosophy of life was

that we lived in a disposable society (and this was a long time ago...) but
that  no one and nothing was disposable--all had purpose and had value. He
lived
his  entire life like that--was one of the most congruent people I ever have
known.

Thank you for letting me remember...it's made my day more grand!

Best,
Marlena in Missouri