[lit-ideas] Re: Scrushy and the King of Arkansas

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 20:36:10 -0800

Andy Amago wrote:

The history of comedy has to be so interesting. In times of great stress
comedy sometimes appears out of nowhere. In the movie Downfall that I saw
last week about the last days of Hitler and WWII, Germans would say to each
other that Berlin has turned into a warehouse. Where's my house, where's
your house they would say.

Could be, but 'Where's my house?' would be 'Wo ist mein Haus?,' 'Where is your house would be 'Wo ist Ihr (or dein) Haus.' A warehouse could be a Lager, a Lagerhaus, or a Warenlager. (All this, of course, is subject to correction by Richard Henninge.)

Robert Paul
Reed College