[lit-ideas] Re: Scrushy and the King of Arkansas

  • From: david ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 20:45:05 -0800

On Dec 1, 2005, at 6:46 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

Why couldn't one simply write, 'A perceived and sometimes [a] real conflict of interest can occur when an individual with whom a faculty member has a personal or professional relationship enrolls in the faculty member's class.'—? This seems to be the sense aimed at.

The use of 'individual' to mean 'person,' is, I grant, widespread.

*One* certainly could. And *one* could aim at sense.

But not a council.

As Phil cleverly argued, clarity may not be what is intended.

If I were on the council I don't think I would try to cover everything in one sentence. I think I'd begin with something following Robert Paul's suggestion, obliterating the distinction between perceived and actual conflicts of interest. What matter's from the point of view of the university is that both wrong and the appearance of doing wrong should be prevented. And then I'd think hard and work in a small committee to discover how best to distinguish between having to tell the provost when your dustman's cousin's son appears in a class, and when your old boyfriend shows up.

David Ritchie
Portland,