[lit-ideas] Re: Scot Free, was Andreas' Place

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 19:03:46 -0700

on 7/11/05 5:34 PM, David Ritchie at ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Supplemental notes:

I wrote: Only at the highest level of
> competition do the judges reveal such priceless information.

Note: Of course they reveal who won and so on, a matter of averaging the
judgments; what they don't reveal is the wide level of disagreement.

I wrote: In the Wednesday competition, called the North American
> championship but with entrants from to Australia,

Note: Sorry about the supplemental "to."

I wrote: On Saturday, the Portland Highland Games,
> where Robert is probably entered in the heavy events.

Note: This is only funny if you know that men in the heavy events--tossing
the caber and so on--are huge, and that the Vice-Purchasing Dean of Mutton
College is a heavyweight brain, but a slender fellow.

Do you suppose that "Scot," in the sense of running or paying a tab, came
from "Scotch," to mark a slate?

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon