[lit-ideas] Re: Scot Free

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:50:41 -0700

on 7/11/05 10:29 PM, Robert Paul at robert.paul@xxxxxxxx wrote:

>> I wrote: On Saturday, the Portland Highland Games,
>> where Robert is probably entered in the heavy events.
>

>> Note: This is only funny if you know that men in the heavy events--tossing
>> the caber and so on--are huge, and that the Vice-Purchasing Dean of Mutton
>> College is a heavyweight brain, but a slender fellow.
>
> Slender is as slender does. Wen it coom to tossin' t' Caber 'tis all in
> t' wrist.

Dinna fash yersel' but accents, like sheep, are sometimes best left alone.

Robert makes a fair point.  Larry Brock chucks a 56 lb weight nearly fifty
feet.  This is partly because he's a huge man, but as Robert's coming
showing in the caber toss will prove, there's technique involved too.  I
should warn him that the Portland games uses one of the largest cabers on
the circuit, a veritable telephone pole, next to impossible to turn.  Among
the professionals--yes there are professional heavy events folk--usually
only one or two manage the trick.  Robert, however, will probably be among
the amateurs, and using a slightly smaller and thus both ethically and
physically easier caber for his caper.  May all his tries land at twelve
o'clock.

It's always a pleasure to cheer a Geary.  I remember trying hopscotch, but I
can't recall if it was in mixed company or what.  Eddie Izzard has a skit
about this and he, too, says is was girls only.  I'd allude to my kilt, but
that came only in adulthood.

And yes, you'd think that now summer is here, all those who flitted might
return to the list, swallowing wildly.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon