[lit-ideas] "Scientific Method" (Was: LSE and Popper)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:04:09 EDT

In a message dated 8/23/2004 8:11:38 AM Eastern Standard Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
it is  possible to be professor of a
non-existent subject, nor is it any kind of  "paradox" that substantiates your
main claim that his post was not related  to philosophy. On the contrary,
according to his demarcation criterion his  post was one in philosophy, and so
I understand the LSE classified  it.

---

Sorry, I may have come across too strong when I said I had no  respect for
what Popper said about philosophy. This seems to be the prejudice  among many
so-called 'analytic' people, and I should not have followed their  opinion
blindly.

You are right that one can teach about an inxistent subject-matter.

I'm not familiar with the LSE -- the question is whether there is a
"Department of Philosophy" and whether "Scientific Method" was the course
offered by
the Department of Philosophy. I suppose the fact that he was  "professor" of
'scientific method', is rather pretentious (as you said  "meta-philosophy" is).
It probably just means, in LSE parlance, that Popper  taught a course
labelled "Scientific Method". And seeing that it's the LSE, that  should AT
LEAST
include 'economics'.

Judy Evans should be able to provide the details. McEvoy may remind us what
years Popper taught at LSE, and whether the Chair of "Scientific Method" is
still held today. I understand Lakatos followed Popper? Who's the current
chair?  Etc/

Cheers,

JL