[lit-ideas] Re: Saving Western Civilization?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:28:05 -0800

Athens, the city, was essentially deserted and defeated by the time of
Thermopylae, but they had a navy, a very good one if only a third the size
of the Persians'.  The Spartans delayed the Persians at Thermopylae giving
the Athenian-led navy time to position themselves and ultimately defeat the
Persian navy.  Xerxes then lost his nerve and fled; hence the Greeks won,
the Athenians went home again and Greece achieved a victory that would not
have happened without the Spartan effort at Thermopylae -- or so the
argument goes.  Had Xerxes been successful, all of Greece would have been
overrun and Western Civilization.

Lawrence