[lit-ideas] Re: Saudi Arabia, Iran, and Israel

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 12:50:04 -0400

Irene -

Your unlimited knowledge of everything -- including the Middle East and Israel
-- always stuns me. That the Palestinians were thrown out is as questionable as
your pseudonym.

Israel was attacked full-bore in 1948 and before and after. You may not realize
this, but there's not a single Jew in any of those other friendly Arab states
either. I wonder why. I'd have a problem if I landed as a tourist in Saudi
Arabia, Jordan or Lebanon while you wouldn't -- except that you're female. This
is a world that's not very accepting. Israel isn't accepted. Period.

While Israel is no angel, (they learned from the Holocaust to be more
aggressive if they want to survive), it takes aggression to survive in that
neighborhood. Still your portrait of Israel is distorted. It's just too
monochromatic, too black and white. Israel's the bad guy and the Palestinians
-- the poor Palestinians -- are the good guys in this melodrama, this soap
opera of yours. It's not true -- soap operas never are -- and I'm sick and
tired of hearing this story.

I can find things to criticize Israel about too, but not the way you do, filled
with lies and misrepresentations.

Stan Spiegel
Portland, ME