[lit-ideas] Re: Saturday Poem

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 20:35:58 -0700

People off-list have expressed concern. The reference in the poem to stripping to a bikini came from a movie about King Arthur in which Keira Knightley fights half Rome, wearing only a war bikini. I, the signee below, hereby affirm that I have never in my life tasted a deep-fried Mars bar. Nor have I put on wode. As for flimsy war outfits of any sort, unless tennis togs count...

Skimpy outfits seem to be the order of the day. I'm just back from "Midsummer Night's Dream" in Ashland. Here are the whizzo ideas that governed the production: why not make the duke, like, a mafia boss New Jersey kind of a guy and fairies...we could make them gay and campy...and the yokels, they're like Ashland's aging hippies, we could put them in a painted VW bus...and what if all four of the lovers had their clothes stolen by fairies and had to do the forest scenes in their skivvies?

The seventeen year olds I was escorting--cheaper by the dozen--loved it. I endured, counted folk, walked them home and held stuff. As chaperones do.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon