[lit-ideas] Re: Sarah Palin gets the spiteful Margaret Thatcher treatment

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 10:32:17 +0900

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Lawrence Helm
<lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

Lawrence,

As usual you read what you want to read and hear what you want to hear.
You're feeling happy and charged up.
We Democrats read what we want to read and hear what we want to hear. We're
happy and charged up, too. Only with better reason.

What we heard was a snide, sarcastic speech filled with scurrilous lies--
what we expected.  Enough of us got pissed off that Obama now has an
additional 10 million dollars in his campaign warchest, just since
yesterday.

More important, however, is what we, and the Independents whose votes will
swing the election, didn't hear, not word one about the current economic
crisis, how people are going to be able to afford things like health care
and a good education for their children, where new jobs are going to come
from, the pocketbook issues. Even four years ago, there were still lots of
people buying an economic ideology that turns the economy into a crap shoot
where the winners walk away smiling and everybody else gets screwed. There
were still lots of people who believed that being the biggest bad ass on the
block was the way for the U.S. to promote democracy around the world.

The good news for us is that the number of suckers has significantly
declined. Both our bases are excited, and our base is now bigger than yours,
and Independents are swinging toward Obama in a big way.

For an intelligent and perfectly polite reaction to Palin's speech see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwFqED85KWQ

For evidence about the way things are going see

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/

Read it and weep.

John