[lit-ideas] Sandals and Nails (Was: The "Greek" Size)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 08:39:08 EST

It's amazing that, witnessing as we are the clash of western civilisation  --
with anything nonwestern and uncivilized -- we have this list discussing on
the size of the Old Greeks.

I mean, who cares.

In any case, two classical quotes:

* re: sandals:

Mr. Ramos suggests we check about relics of sandals. One problem with that
is evidenced by Theophrastus (Loeb Library). In his "Characters" he has the
'bad  taste' man as _always_ wearing sandals one size bigger than they fit.

      -- I'll try and find the quote if you  insist.

* re: sandals. Corolary problem: the nails:

The Spartans were criticised for _not_ wearing sandals, and in general
taking little care of things like foot plant and nails. They are described as
'dirty' by most Athenians. When this German photographer looked for a "Spartan
ideal" in modern Italy, he photographed many 'ephebes', and the photographs
were
 pretty successful at the time. Until Roland Barthes had a close look at
them,  and found that the nails of the 'ephebes' left a lot to be desired
(*qua*
nails).

The issue is important enough to merit a whole section in Ovid, "Ars
amatoria" (The 'tekhne erotike' of the old Greeks). Ovid goes at great lengths
describing the seduction 'strategies' for the female -- how to catch a male in
Greek theatre, etc. -- I was more interesting in focusing in his advice for the
 males, and again, that leaves a lot to be desired. Basically, his main
advice is  that the male takes good care of his nails, since they show (when
you
use  sandals).

      -- Again, I'll try and find the quote, when  you don't insists.

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza
    "Greek" archeologist

products.