[lit-ideas] Sammy Davis Jr.'s Essence

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 12:01:55 EDT

In a message dated 10/6/2004 12:22:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
--- Eric  Yost <NYCEric@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> JL:  "Problem with  America, is that they pigeonhole. If you  sing, you
> are a  singer; if you dance, you are a dancer; if you act, you are an
>  actress. I'm good at the three. How do you call me?"
>
>  _____
>
> Fred Astaire?

Ginger  Rogers?

----

Well, actually, Liza's dictum was more implicatural, and concerned
cancellability.

She said, "If you sing, you are a singer; if you dance, you are a dancer;  if
you act, you're an acter. _AND_ acters are not supposed to be singers, and
dancers are not supposed to be acters, etc.

I don't think Ginger Rogers _sang_, so I guess that proves Liza's point.
OTOH, Fred Astaire refutes it.

Cheers,

JL