[lit-ideas] Salve Regina, Mater Misericordiae (Scarlati)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:03:27 EST

U. Stange asks what version I like of "Don't cry for  me, Argentina". She
says she hears Cleo Laine. I heard a few good ones, but my  favourite would be
the original one as the role was created by Elaine Paige.
In any case, I was referring to this lyric (below)  which Tim Rice
appropriated for the melody that Lord Webber composed. It's heard  only once on
the DVD
or double CD (and NOT sung by Madonna, as it's a  'celestial' chorus). I noted
below there are various arrangements.
If you are familiar with the tune (of "Don't cry for  me, Argentina), and
think of it as being played in Eb, here below would be the  fitting of the
mediaeval Gregorian chant into Webber's melody:
Eb

Salve regina
Ab
mater miseric'ordiae
Ab                                       Bb7
vita dulcedo et spes no'stra
Bb --> Bb7 Eb
salve reg 'ina
Eb          Cm
Ad te cla'mamus
Cm              Dmaj
exules filii E'va
Bb
ad the suspiramus gem'entes

e flentes
F                   Bb
o clemens o pia.
Here below the first page of google.com hits for "Salve  regina". Only the
last one refers to the Webber melody.
Tim Rice was very clever in finding this lyric, as it  mentions the singers
as being "filii Evae", offspring (male or female --) of Eva  -- meaning of
course the Old Testamental woman, and also by metonymy, Evita,  whose real name
was indeed Maria Eva Duarte.
Alas, the Virgin Mary has been now  over-identified with Catholicism and
seldom figures in C. of E. (or Episcopal in  general rites). And that may be
just
as well, as they can do with the Common  Prayer, which they _adore_.

Salve, Regina, mater misericordiae Medieval  Chant at CD Universe, enjoy top
rated service and worldwide  shipping.
_www.cduniverse.com/.../work/Salve,+Regina,+mater+misericordiae//Salve,+Regina
,+mater+misericordiae.htm_
(http://www.cduniverse.com/.../work/Salve,+Regina,+mater+misericordiae/a/Salve,+Regina,+mater+misericordiae.htm)

    Salve Regina, Mater misericordiae, Vita dulcedo  et spes nostra salve. Ad
te clamamus exsules filii Evae. Ad te  suspiramus gementes et flentes, ...
_www.domcentral.org/life/salve.htm_
(http://www.domcentral.org/life/salve.htm)
(http://junior.apk.net/~bmames/ht0407_.htm)

    Salve Regina, Mater misericordiae, Vita dulcedo,  et spes nostr salve Ad
te clamamus, exules filii Evae, Ad te  suspiramus gementes et flentes, ...
junior.apk.net/~bmames/ht0407_.

File Format:  PDF/Adobe Acrobat - _View as HTML_
(http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:xd0hR3tvmdcJ:www.salve.edu/missionint/heritagepromis.pdf+Salve+regina+
mater+misericordiae&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us&ie=UTF-8)

beginning of an ancient Latin hymn, the Salve Regina,. which  continues “
Salve Regina, Mater misericordiae.” We.  know the hymn today as the prayer that
_www.salve.edu/missionint/heritagepromis.pdf_
(http://www.salve.edu/missionint/heritagepromis.pdf)

 (http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin/show_score.pl?scoreid=5404)
    Salve Regina, Mater Misericordiae (2001) by  Jacob Obrecht. More details
| Instrumental parts Visit Michael Tompkins's  SibeliusMusic.com home page ...
www.sibeliusmusic.com/www.sibeliusmusic.com/<WBR>cgi-bin/show_score.pl?sc

_Amazon.ca: Salve Regina/Cantatas/Motets:  Music: Domenico Scarlatti ..._
(http://www.amazon.ca/Regina-Cantatas-Motets-Domenico-Scarlatti/dp/B000002ZXW)
Salve regina: Salve Regina, Mater  Misericordiae, Listen ... Salve Regina,
motet for  soprano, strings & continuo in A major Salve Regina, Mater
Misericordiae ...
www.amazon.ca/Regina-Cantatas-Motets-Domenico-Scarlatti/dp/B000002ZXW

_Scarlatti & Hasse: Salve Regina, Cantatas &  Motets_
(http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/details/66875.asp)
Salve Regina, mater misericordiae [5'44]; Ad te  clamamus exules, filii Evae
[4'53]; Eia ergo advocata nostra illos tuos  [2'26]; Et Jesum, ...
www.hyperion-records.co.uk/details/66875.asp - 8k -  _Cached_
(http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:mW8pv0MzoasJ:www.hyperion-records.co.uk/details/66875.asp
+Salve+regina+mater+misericordiae&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=us&ie=UTF-8)  -
_Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.hyperion-records.co.uk/details/66875.asp)

    5. Salve Regina, mater misericordiae (1) 6. Alma  Redemptoris Mater ...
Salve Regina, mater  misericordiae (2) 23. Dixi ergo in corde meo ...
www.areditions.com/rr/rrr/r130.html

_La Rue: The Complete Magnificats_
(http://www.medieval.org/emfaq/cds/nxs57896.htm)
Pierre de La Rue: Salve regina II; Salve regina,  mater misericordiae; Eia,
ergo, advocata nostra; Et Jesum,  benedictum fructum ventris tui ...
www.medieval.org/emfaq/cds/nxs57896.htm

_LyricsVault Golden Oldies: Oh what a circus - David Essex lyrics  ..._
(http://www.lyricsvault.eu/songs/10118.html)
(Salve regina mater misericordiae) Oh, what a circus!  (Vita dulcedo et spes
nostra Salve, salve regina) Oh, what a  show! (Ad te clamamus) You let down
your ...
www.lyricsvault.eu/songs/10118.html - 8k -  _Cached_
(http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:cbEG5d8cNkMJ:www.lyricsvault.eu/songs/10118.html+Salve+regina+mate
r+misericordiae&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=10&gl=us&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar  pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.lyricsvault.eu/songs/1011
8.html)