[lit-ideas] Re: Salingeriana

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 12:04:25 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 9/23/2013 10:31:11 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Popper expressed a view on [J. D.  Salinger's novella, "The Catcher in the
Rye"], surprisingly enough. Tried to  google this and came up
http://americandigest.org/mt-archives/grace_notes/salinger.php where the
following
quotation from Popper is used

"It is impossible to speak in such a way that you cannot be misunderstood."

------

I find this too full of negatives. It seems equivalent to:

It is possible to communicate in such a way that you may be  understood.

-- which is _hardly_ news.

McEvoy continues:

"This, though worth quoting, isn't the view I had in mind. Anyway, it might
 interest (JLS at least) to guess which of the following expresses Popper's
 view."

"(a) Catcher is an incisive portrait of the adolescent mindset."

-- I don't think so. As I read elsewhere, Salinger was an ADULT when he
wrote "Catcher" and he writes and thinks like an adult. A case in point is the
 conversation between HOLDEN CAULFIELD and his little sister, Phoebe
Caulfield.  Neither of them adults.

Yet the conversation goes on (something along the lines):

HOLDEN: We  should leave all this and head for the West [adolescent
ridiculous  thought].
PHOEBE: I think we are right. When are we leaving? [adolescent or non-adult
 ridiculous support to ridiculous thought]
HOLDEN [having decoded how ridiculous his first thought was]: That _is_
ridiculous, ain't it. Surely we SHOULDN'T be heading West.

----

I'll try to trace the quotation where this analysis takes a more serious
form:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Catcher_in_the_Rye

"[W]riter and academic Louis Menand thought that teachers assign the novel
because of the optimistic ending, to teach adolescent readers that
"alienation  is just a phase."[16]

"While Brooks maintained that Holden acts his age, Menand claimed that
Holden thinks as an adult, given his ability to accurately perceive people and
their motives such as when Phoebe states that she will go out west with
Holden,  and he immediately rejects this idea as ridiculous, much to Phoebe's
disappointment."