[lit-ideas] Re: Salingeriana

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 15:31:04 +0100 (BST)

Popper expressed a view on Catcher, surprisingly enough. Tried to google this
and came up http://americandigest.org/mt-archives/grace_notes/salinger.php
where the following quotation from Popper is used"It is impossible to speak in
such a way that you cannot be misunderstood." This, though worth quoting, isn't
the view I had in mind.

Anyway, it might interest (JLS at least) to guess which of the following
expresses Popper's view:

(a) Catcher is an incisive portrait of the adolescent mindset.

(b) Catcheris a significant document of the US-Soviet Cold War.

(c) Catcherillustrates how American society and culture is 'rootless' in
comparison to the European.

(d) Catchertakes a Lockean theory of knowledge and applies it, comically, to
the growing pains of a sensitive young man.

getting tired (aren't we all)
London