[lit-ideas] Salingeriana

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 20:52:43 -0400 (EDT)

There is a new documentary out -- the seriously first, I guess -- on author
 of "Catcher in the rye".

Can't say A O Scott of the New York Times was specially impressed:

http://movies.nytimes.com/2013/09/06/movies/salinger-a-documentary-by-shane-
salerno.html?pagewanted=all

This from wikipedia, below, caught my interest.

Fascinating author.

His legacy survives and there's a detailed schedule for publication of
sequels to the Glass and the Caulfield sagas.

I find Holden's mis-hearing of Burns' delightful: when a body CATCHES a
body -- comin' thro' the rye...

Cheers,

Speranza

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._D._Salinger

"A  year later, Salinger's daughter Margaret by his second wife Claire
Douglas,  published Dream Catcher: A Memoir. In her book, she described the
harrowing  control Salinger had over her mother and dispelled many of the
Salinger myths  established by Ian Hamilton's book. One of Hamilton's arguments
was that  Salinger's experience with post-traumatic stress disorder left him
psychologically scarred, and that he was unable to deal with the traumatic
nature of his war service. Though Ms. Salinger allowed that "the few men who
 lived through 'Bloody Mortain,' a battle in which her father fought, were
left  with much to sicken them, body and soul",[40] she also painted a
picture of her  father as a man immensely proud of his service record,
maintaining his military  haircut and service jacket, and moving about his
compound
(and town) in an old  Jeep."