[lit-ideas] Re: SUNDAY'S poem

  • From: Eric Yost <NYCEric@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 12:58:25 -0500

  Your description
of eating expensive quiche reminds me of the snack bar at the
Metropolitan Museum in NYC. The curators there have placed the snack bar
in the sculpture court just under a huge sculptural piece of Count
Ugolino and his sons.

_____

I was there last week and they had moved it again to the east-west
sculpture hall, next to the Andromeda, the Flora and Fauna statues.
Perhaps your comments made them reassess their feng shui or something.

It doesn't comment on New Yorkers' ignorance, only their (necessary)
callousness. Anyone who has dined at an outdoor table here in summer,
especially downtown, has had to  deal with intrusions by homeless people
who wander up to the feeding areas and beg from or imprecate the diners
until they are shooed away by restaurant management.

Once, sitting at a window table with friends, a homeless woman
approached the glass, pressed her face against it, and licked the
window, leaving snailtrace saliva on it. On another occasion I saw some
  NYU students taunting a homeless person by extravagantly eating their
food with great relish as he stood a few feet away trying to extract a
quarter from the transaction.

Eric