[lit-ideas] SUNDAY'S THURSDAY POEM

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 04:49:02 -0500

OUTSOURCING THE SELF

It was a Thursday,
just like today,
when God came calling,
which surprised me
because I thought he always went golfing
on Thursdays
when Club rules were relaxed.
But there he was knocking on my door at 6 a.m.
I was afraid it was the police wanting the library book
"Sources of the Self" back
and the five years of past due fines
which I was uninclined to pay, not having read it yet.
But no, thank God, it was just God.
"I'm God," he said, "can I come in?"
I was so relieved.
He sat on the sofa, I the chair.
He was searching for words,
running his fingers through his hair.
The silence was awkward.
"Would you like something to drink?"
I asked.
"Do you have any Chivas?"  he asked.
"Uh, no."  I replied.
"Never mind, just bring me some water, I'll change it,"
he sighed.
So I brought him two buckets full.  Best Chivas I've ever had.
"I'm worried about how I know myself," he said at last.
"How so?" I yawned.
"All existence depends on how I know myself," he shouted out,
either in emphasis or philosophical ardor,
"Even my own.  Even my own," he ended softly.
"Your own what?" I asked humoring him since the Chivas was so good.
"My own existence. I yam what I yam,"  he said, then chuckled.
"Popeye had it right. I yam what I yam.
And so are you," he said, "and all existence."
But shouldn't God and the whole universe
be based on something more profound than Popeye?
I ask you."
"You've come to the wrong place," I said,
"Philosophy's not my field."
"Oh?  What's your field?" God asked.
"Air Conditioning," I said.
"That's cool," God said, "so tell me,"
he continued, "how do you know yourself,
who you truly are, that is?
You're creating a world, too, you know.
One no less real than mine,
the world of yourself,
and it effects, affects, infects
many other worlds.
How do you know
how to go
about all that?"
I just do what I do because that's what I do,"
I replied.
A long moment of silence.
"What time is it?"  He suddenly wanted to know.
"6:09." I chimed.
"Good, I can still make tee off time
at St. Andrews.
Don't delay DeLay, as they say."
and poof!  He was gone.
Man, talk about your missed opportunities.

Mike Geary
Memphis