[lit-ideas] Re: SUNDAY POEM/Macgillonies of Strone

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:19:36 -0700

on 10/20/04 5:37 AM, Steven G. Cameron at stevecam@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

How he came to choose Cameron is
> interesting. "Cohanim," of course, has a better known, historical
> derivation.
>
> TC,

And how *did* he come to choose Cameron?  One of our Jewish friends, of
Russian descent, spent a year at St. Andrews' University, where people
welcomed her "back" to her "ain" country, taking her name as a sign that she
was a Scot.  She, alas, doesn't know how or why her father's side changed
their name to Ross--her father died when she was a child and her mother
didn't know--but I was able to tell her that the first Ross on record was a
Yorkshire Norman, Godfrey de Ros.  His lot moved to Scotland when someone or
other's lands were forfeit and he found himself next in line for a favor.
Ross, of course, refers to red hair, the characteristic that led Viking
invaders who went east to be called "Russians."

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon