[lit-ideas] Re: SUNDAY POEM (retort)

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:35:27 -0500

US:
And then there's Tammy Bakker
Long prepared to meet her Maker
Make-up dribbling down her face
Representing the human race

God must be a special sort
Knowing only the quick retort
You're in! You're out!
What's it all about...?

US (Monday Morning Quarterback):
I'm having second thoughts about my tasteless little jibe at Tammy Faye Bakker. Not sure why my taste-meter wasn't working.

I dunno, Ursula, I thought your jingle was pretty funny. Regarding the apology, it's hard to reconcile the use of the word 'taste' in the same sentence as Tammy Faye. She got the only reward she ever truly wanted in this life: fame and money, so I doubt that even if there's an afterlife, you could ever touch her. She'd probably read your jingle and say: "Yeah, right, Ursula, and how much money did you wallow in today? And how much air time will your death bring?" That's what matters, after all. For a sizable slice of our culture, that's what it's all about. Mockery is a way of consecrating what's not mocked. Mock away. I do, every day.

But I would like to disassociate myself from your questionable comments about God's intelligence. Though God's judgments might seem arbitrary at times, somewhat like the Governor's in "Blazing Saddles", still we must withhold judgment until all has been unfolded in the End Times. Perhaps there's inscrutable wisdom at work here that we cannot fathom in our mere creatureliness. Lest your jabs at God's judgment be seen as seditious, I ask you to stay out of lightning strike from me for the foreseeable future. I'm sure you'll understand that it's nothing personal.

Mike Geary
still believing it's obligatory to laugh
unless God is listening.