[lit-ideas] Re: SUNDAY POEM -- SPIRITUAL SEX

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 14:10:18 -0400

Mike -
Thanks for the piece by Merwin. It's obvious that his poetry is as much an
acquired taste as Woody Allen and olives. It's taken me 30 years to begin to
enjoy Woody Allen -- and now his stuff is going downhill.

I do like his last stanza which brings some concreteness to the piece -

touch me this time
let me love what I cannot know
as the man born blind may love color
until all that he loves
fills him with color

though it leaves me inarticulate, and that's uncomfortable. But excuse me for
being too dense, but what does this poem have to do with spiritual sex?

The idea of a man born blind loving color -- interesting, but not likely.
Whatever that blind man loves, he may call it "color," but it probably isn't.
He's loving something much beyond his comprehension. (Is that the point?) I may
be suffering some age-related cognitive decline and would understand this -- at
least conceptually -- in my 20's, but I've grown more concrete with the passing
years.

A man born blind loving color may be compared to loving God -- something that's
certainly beyond our comprehension. A man born blind may love color until all
that he loves fills him with color. That is "a fucking sublime image." I like
the way you brought fucking and sublime together. You're so clever. You're
bringing fucking and sublime together to demonstrate "spiritual sexual needs."

Irene reminds me that religions are filled with gods having sex with humans.
The virgin birth itself is a union of God and man. Conceptually a story that
helps us make sense of the incomprehensible. But to me with my feet anchored in
the cement of logic, I still don't get it -- except in a playful intellectual
way.

A man born blind loving color until all he loves fills him with color.

It's beginning to make some sense, but don't ask me to explain it. Isn't that
something like what Augustine once said when asked a question?

Stan Spiegel
Portland, ME