[lit-ideas] Re: SUNDAY POEM

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 15:08:00 -0400

Mike -
Today's pieces sound like Tennesee haiku, if there is something like that.
If I had my druthers, I'd like to see you develop the first one more fully.
The broad brush-strokes you use immediately engage me, my sense of rhythm
and my ear, but it was too small an hors d'oeuvre to satisfy my appetite.
(like haiku, I guess. I have a hard time with things that whet my appetite
but I can only have a teeny bit of. I can't enjoy a tiny sip. I need to
drink the whole bottle. I could easily be an alcoholic.You're not helping me
get drunk.)

The way you start, the picture you draw in "The Tao of Dad" -- everything
works, but I'm lost when it comes to the significance of your title. I'm no
Eastern philosopher so when I looked it up, I found tao refers to the
universal force that produces harmony in nature. I don't see harmony in
nature in your picture of your dad like a wind-shaped tree.

Is it unfair of me to ask you to talk about your intentions? Usually you're
as subtle as a live firehose or a punch in the nose. Neither your humor nor
your diatribes show subtlety. How come here?
Stan Spiegel