[lit-ideas] SUNDAY POEM

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "LIT-IDEAS" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 22:51:52 -0500

FULL OF SOUND AND INEFFABILITY

'Soporific is one of my favorite words.
I don't know why.  So is 'etiolated' and 'eschuteon'.
Again, I don't know why.  Some things just cling to us.
I only know that if I had to say why I love you,
none of my favorite words would work.
If I crooned: "You are my soteriology, baby."
Would that bring you closer to me?
I doubt it.  But the word warms my heart.
Just like 'theogony'.  I would want to come closer
to anyone who whispered those words in my ear.

"Ineluctable modalities of the visible" --
surely those words have undone more virgins
than all the Medieval purgings of witches combined.
Those Joycean sounds set my heart a flutter
like a fly with feet stuck in melting butter.
In the beginning was the Word.
But what word?  No one knows.
Apparently it was never heard.
I think it was "callipygian."
Probably the best word in the world.

Still I haven't found the vocabulary
to tell you why I love you.
You're just so super.  And like neat and all.
That's why.

Mike Geary
Memphis