[lit-ideas] Re: SUNDAY POEM

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 00:32:12 EDT

Thank you Mike.  I needed that bit of beauty tonight.  Bless you  for posting
it.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] SUNDAY POEM  Date:
8/6/06 11:10:52 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From: _atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In such ugly times,  the only true protest is beauty.
                                          -- Phil Ochs

GIFT

        -- W. S.  Merwin

I have to trust what was given to me
if I am to trust anything
it led the stars over the shadowless  mountain
what does it not remember in its night and  silence
what does it not hope knowing it self no child of  time

what did it not begin what will it not  end
I have to hold it up in my hands as my ribs hold up  my heart
I have to let it open its wings and fly among the  gifts of the unknown
again in the mountain I have to turn
to the morning

I must be led by what was given to me
as streams are led by it
and braiding flights of birds
the gropings of veins and the learning of  plants
the thankful days
breath by breath

I call to it Nameless One O Invisible
Untouchable Free