[lit-ideas] Re: SOS or Charles Taylor's Sources of the Self (revised)

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 09:23:01 +0900

Thanks, John, for joining in.

On 5/20/06, John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Does Taylor discuss theatre, or fiction, or poetry, in his search for the modern self?

Don't know. Not so far, in the first couple of chapters, but these are
only a portion of part one in a very long book.  I haven't got yet to
the historical chapters.

 From the discussion so far, and from my hazy memories, it seems that
Taylor is taking a very Aristotelian approach here.

Spot on. Several of the reviews I've read suggest the same thing, that Taylor is part of an Aristotlean reaction/revival against the aridity of analytic philosophy.

What Aristotle seems to supply that I haven't heard about here is an idea of the importance of ideals. An "ideal" is an exemplar, a concrete example of some quality. Both tragedy and comedy are full of such ideals, and these supply the "context" or the "framework" for Aristotle that seems to be problematic in the "modern" world.

Again. This may come up. Hasn't yet in Chapter 1. I speculate that Taylor is familiar with the importance of ideals but would argue that they are unintelligible without the frameworks. What makes a hero a hero, for example, is excellence in meeting the criteria for commanding respect.

For Aristotle, we become "better" people not just by thought and reflection, but by seeing examples of other people who either succeed or fail in their efforts. We hold up some real individuals as "excellent" and denigrate others. This happens in real life, but it happens even moreso when we go to theatre or read fiction.

Again, I speculate. But I have already read a bit (the book is at my
office, so I can't directly cite it just this moment), where Taylor
contrasts the predicament of, for example, the young Luther, who knows
what it is to be a monk and feels terribly sinful because he isn't
living up to those ideals with that of (now I'm making this up) a
modern theologian who is searching for what to believe in a world so
full of options that certainty is impossible.

Cheers,

John McC

-- ------------------------------------------------- "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." ------------------------------------------------- John Wager john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx Lisle, IL, USA

John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN

US CITIZEN ABROAD?
THROW THE RASCALS OUT!