[lit-ideas] Re: SOS or Charles Taylor's Sources of the Self

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 15:17:58 +0900

On 5/19/06, Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

*Maybe it's because of my work current work as an ESL
instructor that I am a bit skeptical about the
effectiveness of discussions that do not introduce
precise definitions. If I would start lecturing my
students about "the self" without explaining what it
means, they would either ask "what is that - self ?"
or just slip into apathy. Well, I guess that I am
going to do the latter for the time being.

Omar,

I thought you were a bit more philosophically sophisticated than you
appear to be. Remember Wittgenstein? Tell me, now. Which is more
enlightening, an attempt to define "game" in terms of necessary and
sufficient conditions, or a careful description of the network of
family resemblances that link all the different kinds of things called
games?

I also recommend George Lakoff's _Women, Fire and Dangerous Things_,
in which you will find wealth of empirical evidence demonstrating that
classical logic dependent on taxonomies composed of categories defined
in terms of necessary and sufficient conditions are both a highly
unnatural and highly misleading way to think about things. As a
teacher you would be better advised to focus on prototypes and
exceptions than definitions that leave you and your students trapped
in a maze of scholastic logic-chopping.

This isn't to say that definitions can't be useful. One must remember,
however, the warning so nicely summarized in the opening paragraph of
_Tricks of the Trade_, which is largely a lovely manual of all sorts
of different ways to think about things.

"Undergraduates at the University of Chicago, when I was a student
there, learned to deal with all difficult conceptual questions by
saying, authoritatively, 'Well, it all depends on how you define your
terms.' True enough, but it didn't help us much, since we didn't know
anything special about how to do the defining."

He then describes a case in point, drawing on the work of sociology
professor Everett C. Hughes, who wrote,

"Almost anyone who uses the term [ethnic group] would say that it is a
group distinguishable from thers by one, or some combination of the
following: physical characteristics, language, religion, customs,
institutions, or 'cultural traits'."

But as Hughes goes on to explain, this approach is ass-backwards.

"An ethnic group is not one because of the degree of measurable or
observable difference from other groups; it is an ethnic group, on the
contrary, because the people in and the people out of it know that it
is one; because both the ins and the outs talk, feel and act as if it
were a separate group."

Following a similar line of thought, I find Taylor wise to avoid the
pointless exercise of trying to define the self at the start and
pursuing instead the line of building on intuitions that something
like a self exists and exploring what people in different times and
places have said about themselves.

Cheers,

John

-- John McCreery The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN

US CITIZEN ABROAD?
THROW THE RASCALS OUT!
Register to Vote in '06 Elections
www.VoteFromAbroad.org