[lit-ideas] Re: SOS - Poeitic Power

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 08:32:59 -0400

Not patriotism, severe depression.  He had a very tragic life, had been what we
would call today an abused child, beaten by his father, plus he watched his
mother die an agonizing death.  Lincoln was very conflicted over causing so
many casualties in fighting the Civil War.  There was a strong sentiment in the
country to let the South go.  He opposed that sentiment and fought to keep the
Union together.  It was really not that popular a war.  Basically, Lincoln
couldn't wait to die.  He kept a folder in his desk with assassination threats.
 I don't remember (if I ever knew) if he was aware of the plot that killed him,
but the night he was assassinated in Ford's Theatre Lincoln had dismissed the
one guard that was assigned to him.