[lit-ideas] SOS - Poeitic Power

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 20:36:08 -0700

I was being only partially flippant with Irene's comment.  If as Taylor
implies we are in an age where virtually everyone seeks in some way to find
him or herself, then everyone who writes poetry is engaged, to some extent,
in that quest.  Perhaps this can most readily be seen in the "Confessional
School" of Robert Lowell (e.g., Life Studies), etc.  We confess our
innermost whatever and grow toward understanding one's self.

I wonder to what extent Berryman, Hemingway, and Fitzgerald bought into the
idea that alcohol would enhance this quest?  Did they really like alcohol
that much or were they deceived?

Byron did indeed value a heroic ideal but this seems largely inherited.

I'm not sure T.S. Eliot was interested in a self.  He didn't seem to insist
on it when Pound moved him this way and that.

When someone writes a poem that seems autobiographical or confessional, is
he being objective in the sense of being true to external (objective)
reality, or is he creating something unique?  And if he is creating
something unique is it a true something or a warped something?  And if a
warped something, is that his bent?  Is he thereby warping himself down a
crooked rabbit hole?  One can, as Taylor quotes Pico in his oration to say,
create ourselves in whichever way we like.

Lawrence

Do you write poetry?  Post some and we'll speculate.

  _____

From: Andy Amago

What does greater understanding of ourselves mean, and which poet
particularly has it?  Which writer for that matter?  John Berryman, Ernest
Hemingway, F.S. Fitzgerald?  T.S. Eliot?  Byron

  _____