[lit-ideas] Re: SOS - Colin Morris and Taylor

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 12:00:29 -0700

The reference Colin Morris used to ousia had to do with seeking of a term to
apply to the Trinity, three persons in one, and all they had available was
ousia, substance.  They couldnât use idiot because of the negative
connotation and unsuitable definition.

From Wikipedia:  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiot>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiot

ââIdiotâ uses the word person, but not in the modern sense: Idiot is a
word derived from the  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_language> Greek
ÎÎÎÏÏÎÏ, idiÅtÄs ("layman," "person lacking professional skill," "a
private citizen," "individual"), from ÎÎÎÎÏ, idios ("private," "one's
own"). In  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_language> Latin the word idiota
("ordinary person, layman") preceded the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Latin> Late Latin meaning "uneducated or
ignorant person." Its modern meaning and form dates back to
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_English> Middle English around the year
1300, from the  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_French> Old French idiote
("uneducated or ignorant person"). The related word idiocy dates to 1487 and
may have been analagously modeled on the words
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophet> prophet and
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy> prophecy.

It was originally used in  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greece>
ancient Greek  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City-state> city-states to refer
to people who were overly concerned with their own self-interest and ignored
the needs of the community. Declining to take part in public life, such as
(semi-)democratic government of the  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polis> polis
(city state, e.g.  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athenian_democracy> Athenian
democracy) was considered dishonorable. "Idiots" were seen as having bad
judgment in public and political matters. Over time, the term "idiot" shifted
away from its original connotation of selfishness and came to refer to
individuals with overall bad judgmentâindividuals who are "
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupid> stupid."

Lawrence