[lit-ideas] Re: SATURDAY'S SUNDAY POEM

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 21:21:18 -0500

US:
"Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name."  Learned far away
and long ago, these words still haunt me. They are a benediction on my life....

Ursula, are you familiar with Galway Kinnell's "Saint Francis And The Sow"? I think you hit it on the head: we all seek benediction on our lives. I think that even the most hard core meanie aches to be told he/she is lovely.

SAINT FRANCIS AND THE SOW
              -- Galway Kinnel

The bud
stands for all things,
even for those things that don't flower,
for everything flowers, from within, of self-blessing;
though sometimes it is necessary
to reteach a thing its loveliness,
to put a hand on its brow
of the flower
and retell it in words and in touch
it is lovely
until it flowers again from within, of self-blessing;
as Saint Francis
put his hand on the creased forehead
of the sow, and told her in words and in touch
blessings of earth on the sow, and the sow
began remembering all down her thick length,
from the earthen snout all the way
through the fodder and slops to the spiritual curl of the tail,
from the hard spininess spiked out from the spine
down through the great broken heart
to the blue milken dreaminess spurting and shuddering
from the fourteen teats into the fourteen mouths sucking and blowing
       beneath them:
the long, perfect loveliness of sow.

*****

That poem was so important to me at one point in my life. Thank god for poetry.

Mike Geary