[lit-ideas] Re: Ruth Barcan Marcus 1921-2012

  • From: John Wager <jwager@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 14:39:25 -0500

It's difficult to deal with the death of one's teachers because we've become them. and we will become them.

I remember Mrs. Marcus fondly from a logic class, although I don't remember the class fondly. I don't remember the class much at all, I'm afraid, even though it was the only graduate level logic class I took. All I remember was her class start-up procedure, which involved getting a pack of long cigarettes out, and starting to light one, and then getting caught up in saying something, and then reaching for a long piece of chalk, and then writing on the board with the chalk. For the next hour, all I recall was being fascinated with watching whether she would ever make the mistake of trying to write with the cigarette, or trying to smoke the chalk. (Both seemed to change hands often.) So that's the only reason I'm not so logical today; it was her fault.

Oh, and I do remember one more thing: She said in 1970, when she was in charge of graduate student placement, that the job market was quite dismal, but we should all be encouraged because "It can't get any worse." Of course it has steadily gotten worse for the last 42 years, but you can't be 100% correct all the time, especially if you're a modal logician, even if you're a model modal logician.

Robert Paul wrote:
*http://tinyurl.com/7gp5rfj

The Times did not run an obituary of her until people who knew of her death asked the obituary
editor why they hadn't.

* *http://tinyurl.com/7cue35b

*