[lit-ideas] Russia's Pre-emption Doctrine

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 16:51:30 -0400

Russia reserves the right to deliver preventive strikes at any targets that pose
a threat to us, with tactical nuclear weapons being an option in such strikes.

--Russian defense analyst *Alexander Pikayev*, on the possibility of
Russia targeting U.S. missile defense sites in Eastern Europe.
<http://www.nti.org/d_newswire/issues/2006_9_22.html#6CACFD7C>

Russia's going to use tactical nukes on any target it perceives as threatening it. Like duh ... who wouldn't? Fortunately Russia's not the USA and won't be excoriated by their allies for their dubious strategy of pre-emption.

I'm sure every one of the US planners knew that Russia would have to respond this way. We obviously knew Russia would add sites to its Eastern Europe target list. The point of missile defense is not in the absurd threat of first strike but in its use against wild-cards like accidental or terrorist launches. Both sides know this. Russia's response is natural. Yet headlined this way, it looks like a threat rather than an expected strategic announcement.