[lit-ideas] Re: Russia & chess

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 13:42:16 -0400

"Chess" is a clumsy metaphor for the situation, in my opinion.

The interview below offers a different perspective on Russia v. USA relations. I tend to side with Gaddy's opinion.

[full interview at http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,572052,00.html] SPIEGEL ONLINE: Do you think we are seeing the start of a new power struggle between Washington and Moscow that could continue for years to come?

Gaddy: No. The US has far too many other, more important concerns right now, and Russia is not interested in a struggle with the US. But the main reason there will not be a power struggle is that there is nothing to struggle over. The US has already lost its former role as world leader. Russia neither wants to, or is able to, to replace it. Russia's goal is rather a negative one: to ensure that no threat to it can emerge from the territory of the states closest to its borders. It will therefore continue to bully its neighbors in various ways. Russia's behavior will be morally unacceptable to the US, but it will not be generally perceived as threatening to the US. In the end, the rhetoric between Russia and the US. will become hotter, and relations will become cooler. But there will not be a power struggle.